Wednesday, September 1, 2010

But Have Not Love


“Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.” ~ 1 Corinthians 13:1-2

As many of you may know, I tend to be a very reserved and aloof person. I don’t say much and tend to stay to myself. As a result, social situations are not easy for me. So, needless to say, when I attended orientation for law school this past week, I was quite nervous about how I would do in making new friends and meeting new people.

But rather than allow those feelings of nervousness to take over, rather than curling up into my shell as is my natural inclination in situations like this, I challenged myself and made a decision – a decision to let love be my guide.

So, 1 Corinthians 13 became my guiding light. I told myself that rather than fearing the unknown, rather than allowing the fear of rejection to overcome me, I was going to do what God has ultimately called us to do and love my neighbor as myself, and as ultimately Christ loves each of us – unconditionally, without pretense or prejudice, fully and wholeheartedly, genuinely.

See, when we allow love to be our guides, we are not only being obedient to God’s world, we not only bless other people, but we open up worlds of possibilities for ourselves as well. God has promised that if we stay true to His word, He would open up windows in Heaven that no man can shut (Revelations 3:7). But in order for the promise to be fulfilled, we’ve got to be obedient to His word. The rewards don’t come without the sacrifice.

So, be guided by love today. Instead of having an attitude, take on a spirit of love today. Love those around you and watch how your life will be richly blessed because of it.

God bless,
J.W.

No comments:

Post a Comment