Tuesday, May 19, 2009

How Will You React?


One of the biggest lessons I’ve learned in being married is the importance of staying focused on my own actions.

Why?

Because at the end of the day, as much as I may not like the things my wife does or says, my actions are the only thing I can control.

And as far as I’m concerned, it’s the only thing that God cares about.

That may sound selfish, but, at the end of the day, God won’t take into account what the other person has done. Rather, he’ll hold each of us accountable for our own actions.

So…

My wife could hate my guts, and I would still be called to love her.

She could call me every name in the book, and I’d still be called to uplift her.

She could hit me, push me, kick me, spit on me, and I would still be called to honor her.

Why?

Because the Bible gives us directions on the best way to live, and how effective a life we have depends solely on how well our actions match up with what’s written in the Holy Book.

As far as we should be concerned, God doesn’t care about what others do. He’ll deal with their behavior.

What he really cares about is how we react to what they do.

Will we get upset and curse them out, or will we act in a way that’s pleasing to Him?

How will you react?

God bless,
J.W.

“But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you.” ~ Luke 6:27-31

No comments:

Post a Comment