Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The Real Meaning of Christmas


As I head down to Baltimore to celebrate Christmas with my family, I can’t help but reminisce on all the things that have taken place throughout the year and how good God has been to Michele and me. We may not have always gotten everything we wanted, but through it all, He’s given us joy, peace, and love for one another and our family and friends. That’s why I’m grateful to Him and why I celebrate Him during this Christmas season!

The other day, Michele and I had a talk about whether we would teach our kids to believe in Santa Claus. I was a little apprehensive approaching her about it just because I didn’t know how she would respond. Would she be adamant about teaching our kids about Santa Claus? I was pretty adamant myself about not, so what would happen if we disagreed?

Fortunately for me, we ended up being on the same page. As Christians, we didn’t want our kids growing up believing in some imaginary old, fat white guy who would bring them presents on Christmas! To us, Christmas shouldn’t be about receiving presents. It should be about giving, and as such, we want to instill a spirit of giving in our kids. We want to encourage them to give to those who are less fortunate on Christmas. To give some of their clothes to the homeless or to make toys for underprivileged kids. The way we see it, they’ll have the rest of the year to get gifts from us. But the purpose and focus of Christmas should be to give. That is, the essence of Christmas is found in John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that He GAVE His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him might not perish but have everlasting life!

So, what have we turned Christmas into? A day when we literally kill each other (see this year’s Black Friday) to get a good deal? A day when we get all stressed out trying to buy gifts for everyone on our list? Is that what Christmas is supposed to be about?

So as you celebrate Christmas this year, I encourage you to give to someone else. It doesn’t have to be anything expensive. You can give your time or a talent. If you sing, maybe you could write a song for someone. If you sew, maybe you can sew a scarf for someone. Whatever it is, all of us have something to give. It just takes a little shift in perspective and a refocus on what’s important.

Have a very Merry Christmas!

God bless,
J.W.

No comments:

Post a Comment