Tuesday, April 15, 2008

What Would You Do?

"In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'" ~ Acts 20:35

A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to work for a week as a temp at Sony BMG. For those of you who know anything about the music business, you know that Sony BMG is a pretty big deal. One of the largest, most successful record companies in the world today, Sony BMG is home to such artists as Alicia Keys, Beyonce, and Usher.

But I turned the offer down. Why? Because the week before, I promised my aunt and uncle that I would watch my little cousins while they were on spring break. Now, of course, I would have loved to pursue the opportunity, but I had given my word, and family was more important to me.

Likewise, today, surrounded by widespread job loss, unemployment, and foreclosures, when I could be either looking for a job or looking for a home for us to live in, I’m playing in a charity basketball game this evening in Frederick, MD. Why? Because I understand that it’s much better to give than to receive, because I gave my word, and because family is more important to me.

You see, I tell you these things not to brag on myself. I know there are some out there who might even question my decision to give up such big opportunities. But they don’t see what I see. They don’t understand what I know.

In a faith where we are taught that His ways are not our ways, His thoughts are not our thoughts, and that we are not of this world, we sure do adhere to the standards of the world an awful lot. When I die, I don’t want to hear God say, “James, you sure lived a comfortable life. You worked all your life, you never took risks, you retired, and now you’ve come home. Good job!” No! I want Him to say, “James, you were a risk taker. You followed your heart, even when it wasn’t popular to. When everybody else challenged you to adhere to the world’s standards, you stuck to your guns and you lived your life for Me.” When I die, I want God to say “Well done, my good and faithful servant. You were faithful over a few things. Now, I will make you ruler over many.”

I know we’re all trying to pay bills, put food on the table, and save for retirement. But, when faced with the choice between doing for yourself and doing for others, which would you choose? Would you give up fame and fortune to help somebody else? Or is life all about getting yours and dying happy?

It’s up to you to decide.

God bless,
J.W.

No comments:

Post a Comment