Monday, February 11, 2008

Play Your Position

Many times in life, we make things harder than they really are.

When things go awry, we blame other people; sometimes, even God. When problems arise, we try to fix them. But could it be that our problems remain because we try to fix them? That maybe our lingering crises are a direct result of our refusal to let go and let God? That we’ve somehow placed more faith in ourselves (our education, our intellect, our street smarts, our money, our social status, and our overall brilliance) than an all-knowing, all-powerful, omnipresent God? Could it be that we really aren’t as smart, as talented, or as brilliant as we think we are?

As the saying goes, success comes when preparation meets opportunity. The problem arises when we use our own judgment to make decisions that get us out of position to receive God’s blessings or success.

I liken it to playing defense in the game of football. Every player has a job or position for which he is responsible. If one player over-pursues, or gets out of position, he leaves a gap in the defense that the other team can take advantage of. But, if each player stays in his position, one of them will be in the perfect position to make the play.

The same applies to the game of life. While God is all-knowing, all-powerful, and omnipresent, he gives us each a part, or position, to play. If we play our position correctly, the team will be successful. But, if we over-pursue, and get out of position, we leave holes that the enemy can use to defeat us.

So, when problems arise, play your position. Do what you’ve been called to do, and leave the rest to God.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths." ~ Proverbs 3:5-6

Peace,
J.W.

1 comment:

  1. That's so true. It's sometimes so easy to get so self-involved that you are putting more faith in yourself (actual faith and not just lip service) than in a God that knows more about you than you could ever imagine. I've been struggling with that lately. To some extent, my job as a consultant forces me to rely on my training and on my intellect, but I neglect to acknowledge at times that this intellect (and simply being in my right mind) is a gift from God. It's so easy to lean on your own understanding. But in doing so, you are telling God that you are going to control your own life... You, a creation of the most high God, with no idea how your tomorrow will be... instead of trusting God who knows all (past, present & future) and only wants the best for you. It's hard. But I want that pure, true, mountain-moving faith-based, fire-shut-up-in-my-bones relationship with God. I've had it before and I want it back! There's nothing in the world like it!

    Thank you, J, for your blogs, and for forcing me to think about my life and my relationships. Keep speaking the truth. I love you.

    ReplyDelete