Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Dreams

So, as you’ve probably noticed, the Journal’s been a little politically heavy over the past couple of days. I apologize for that, as sometimes, I get a little passionate about politics, particularly in this moment in history that we are in right now. But, I want to go in a lighter direction with the Journal today.

Lately, I’ve been thinking about my life and my accomplishments. I tell those close to me all the time that growing up, I never really saw my life past the age of 18. I never really had a vision for my life past high school graduation. Part of that was probably due to an underlying fear of growing up, of maturing, of getting older, and of gaining responsibility. But, I think it was partly God’s will as well.

Between age 18 and 24, I’ve done and learned a lot. I’m grateful for all my experiences, good and bad, because they’ve gotten me to where I am today. And as I watch the assent of who I believe is going to be the first Black President of the United States, so many new doors, new visions, and new directions have opened up for me. There’s so much that I want to do in life right now – things that I never dreamed of doing before. Right now, I’m preparing to take the GMAT so that I can go back to school and get my MBA. I’m doing greater things with my business. I’m entering new fields career-wise. Lately, I’ve even thought about possibly getting a second Master’s degree in political science to become a political analyst and strategist.

When we’re young, we have all these dreams. We want so many things out of life and are not afraid to declare it to the world. But somehow, over time, some new reality sets in that makes us believe that there are limitations to who we can become, where we can go, and what we can do.

But what would happen if we went back to the days when we had big dreams? What would happen if, as adults, we’d throw caution to the wind and really go after the things that we desire in life? I know you’ve got bills, and I know you’ve got stomachs to fill, and mouths to feed, but you also have a soul, and a heart, that needs to be fed.

So, feed your soul today. Do one thing today that moves you closer to your goals and your dreams. If you would just take one step every single day, before long you’d find yourself in position to receive your blessing and achieve your dreams. So start today and discover where God can take you, if you’d just believe.

God bless,
J.W.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, James. Yes, take that GMAT---and get that MBA...and above all, continue to DREAM BIG. God bless.

    'Head'

    ReplyDelete