Wednesday, March 28, 2012

#Justice4Trayvon


“Though I cry, ‘Violence!’ I get no response; though I call for help, there is no justice." ~ Job 19:7

Over the last few weeks, the tragedy of the Trayvon Martin case has struck me deeply. No matter how hard I try, I cannot reconcile the case in my mind. As an African American, I hurt for the family's loss. As a man, I am angered by the wholesale lack of justice that Trayvon and his family has received. As a young black man, I am frustrated that despite being 50 years after Dr. King’s famous “I Have A Dream” speech, I am still not judged based on the content of my character, but merely by the color of my skin. Lastly, as a father, I fear for my 5-month old son.

See, Trayvon could be Jeremiah in 18 years. As a Christian, I have faith that God will keep my son safe. But it's tough when society places so little value on people who look like we do. I know that my son will, one day, grow up to look like his daddy, to look like Trayvon, to look like Troy Davis, Sean Bell, and Amadou Diallo. I just pray that by the time he does, society has changed.

Peace and love to the Martin family. And to all those who continue to harbor hatred, jealousy, and prejudice in your heart, I pray that God enlightens your path and allows you to see the world the way He does. All life is precious. Including yours. It’s sad that you can’t see that.

God bless,
J.W.

P.S. Please check out this PSA my friend put together for Trayvon and share with your friends and family: http://youtu.be/nN_H9Gs5QO8.


No comments:

Post a Comment