Monday, July 19, 2010

Teach Me How to Love

“And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing... And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.” (1 Corinthians 13: 2,13)

We as believers have the blessing of experiencing the greatest love there is: the love of God. What makes God’s love so special is that His love is totally and completely unconditional. The dictionary defines unconditional as “not contingent; not determined or influenced by someone or something else”. That means that love that is truly unconditional is there just because it is. You can’t do anything to earn it and you can’t do anything to lose it. It is love for love's sake. Romans 8:38-39 declares that nothing can separate us from the love of God. Again, it’s there and it isn’t going anywhere.

In celebrating this fact I began to think: if God is love and as believers God lives inside of us, then shouldn’t we also have His love inside of us? If we are truly designed in God’s image and God is love, then we are capable of the same unconditional love that he shares with us. The ability to love is the greatest quality that we as humans have because it the one that most reflects the image of God. Unfortunately it also seems to be one the one we limit the most.

Imagine if we all loved one another, friend or foe, family or neighbor with no pre-requisites and no requirements, expecting nothing in return. Not only would we be a joy to those around us, but our own condition would improve as a result.

There is a certain peace that you get when your feelings about those around you (and yourself for that matter) are not determined or affected by anything other than the fact that you love them. It’s called “perfect peace”.

I challenge us all to ask God, “Teach me how to love as you do, unconditionally”. I know I will be asking God daily to help me.

Love is Life,
Daniel Lee Robertson

1 comment:

  1. Coming across this blog post was an on time Word. I just had a disagreement with a loved one and I felt no peace about how I handled it. Love is the one thing we can do that will not fail. I am reminded of what I forgot to do at that moment. God bless & thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete