Thursday, February 18, 2010

What Was I Thinking?


"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do... As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me... For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing." ~ Romans 7:15-20

Often times, when we do stupid things in life, we look back on the decisions we've made and say "what was I thinking?"

Often times, we can't explain our stupid decisions, other than to just say "it happened, it was a mistake, and I'm sorry."

Well, Paul tells us that making mistakes is natural. Because we live in an imperfect world amongst an enemy that hates us, we are going to mess up sometimes. Temptation to do the wrong thing is natural.

But every experience doesn't have to be a bad one. Some things are meant to be a learning experience.

In the end, it's not our mistakes that matter, but how we bounce back from those mistakes. Likewise, it's not being tempted that counts, but how we respond in the face of temptation.

That is what shows our true character.

So what kind of character are you showing today?

God bless,
J.W.

No comments:

Post a Comment